Close Menu

Family Law Attorneys in San Fernando, California

Do You Need A San Fernando Family Law Lawyer?

At the Harris Family Law Group, our dedicated family law attorneys in San Fernando know that once a spouse decides to get divorced, he or she would like the process to be over as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Depending on the type of divorce you are pursuing, whether it is contested or uncontested, and what type of relationship you have with your spouse — and whether it is high conflict interactions or can be amicably settled through mediation — the time it takes to finalize the divorce will dramatically differ.

Our Los Angeles County family lawyer, Jeffery L. Harris, is dedicated to producing results for our clients using a customized approach to creating legal solutions for each client’s unique relationship, so they can make informed decisions about how their divorce unfolds.

If you have questions about your personal relationship, and what you can expect from the divorce process, contact us today to schedule a free case assessment, where we will answer each of your questions and address your concerns, so you can start moving forward with confidence.

The Harris Family Law Group Family Law Attorneys in San Fernando, California Practice Areas

Since California is a no-fault divorce state, our clients are free to choose when they want to dissolve their marriages without proving the other spouse is responsible for their decision.

Our lawyers specialize in family law, and represent individuals who are pursuing solutions in the following practice areas, when they are ready to make a change:

Our San Fernando family law attorneys focus on providing real-time solutions that deliver long-term security, so our clients can make decisions right now that positively impact their futures — starting with a free consultation. Call us now to learn how we can build your case to meet your personal and family needs, so you can start moving in the right direction.

How Long Do I Have to Be a California Resident to File for Divorce in the State?

New residents, those who were married in another state, or who have split up with only one party remaining, must fulfill our California divorce residency requirements before legally ending your marriage in the Golden State.

The spouse filing for divorce in California must be a resident and is required by our California Courts to have lived in the state for the last six months, and in the county they are filing from for the last three months.

If you and your soon-to-be-ex-spouse are both California residents for six months but reside in different counties for the required three months, you may file for divorce in either county.

What Type of Divorce Decisions Can We Make While We Wait?

Whether you are new to the state and have six months to think about how you would like this divorce to unfold, or just moved to a new county and have three months to file for divorce, there are multiple details you can outline in the meantime.

First: Partner with an experienced divorce attorney in San Fernando who can prepare you for all the things you never thought would matter during a divorce.

Most people only know what they know about divorce from television or friends and family member’s circumstances. Unless you have gone through a divorce yourself, you may be surprised by all the decisions you may have to make regarding your future.

Our San Fernando family law attorneys will create solutions for each part of your divorce during the mandatory waiting period, including:

  • Property Division
  • Asset and Debt Division
  • Spousal Support
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support

If you or your spouse have been long-time California residents, and do not need to wait to file for divorce, we can help you outline the details of your case too, so you can start moving forward by confidently making decisions about your future with an experienced San Fernando family law attorney by your side.

San Fernando, California Divorce Lawyers Who Charge Flat Rate Fees

Each type of divorce is different, even if you are divorcing for the very same reasons as someone you know divorced years ago.

That is because you and your spouse are unique, and so are your divorce needs.

That is why we only charge our clients flat rate fees, instead of using an hourly billing model.

Your divorce may be cut and dry and completed in one mediation session.

That cost will be different than the divorce of a high-conflict couple that has already decided their case is going to have to be solved during litigation.

However, the latter couple should have access to the same quality legal representation at a fair, upfront price, so they are not blindsided by excessive billing hours and surprise fees later.

At the Harris Family Law Group, our skilled family lawyers in San Fernando provide an upfront valuation of our services, so you know the rate you will pay for our representation.  

Contact Our Experienced San Fernando, California Family Law Attorneys Today

If you have questions about how your divorce will affect your finances, where you will live, child custody, or other family matters, you do not have to stand still and worry about the unknown. We will explain the divorce process to you in plain terms that allow you to understand the journey you are going to take, so you can make informed decisions about its outcome.

We will thoroughly outline your case and provide the legal guidance you need to confidently move forward and pursue a divorce agreement that gives you access to the marital property that is rightfully yours, while creating a formidable parenting and custody plan that prioritizes your kids’ well-being from the beginning.

If you would like to learn more about how your life will look after a divorce, contact our experienced San Fernando family law attorney at the Harris Family Law Group today by calling (310) 745-8644 to get the help you need to move forward with confidence.

Frequently Asked Questions for Family Law Attorneys in San Fernando, California

If I have been served with divorce papers, what is my next step?

If you have been served divorce papers know that you have thirty days to sign them. Refusal to sign will end in a default divorce. You should consult with a San Fernando divorce lawyer quickly and have them give you some advice while you sign the papers. Then you will want to get all your finances in order as well as the assets you have.

How long after a child custody order has been made can it be modified?

You can request a modification of the child custody order right after the agreement has been made. This is not advisable as you would probably not get the arrangement changed as there was no significant change that hinders the child’s best interest. Just because you ask for a modification does not mean that the judge will grant it.

If I was married for under a year am I eligible for an annulment rather than a divorce?

You have from 4 years from the date of your marriage to ask for an annulment, though you still have to qualify. The marriage only lasting less than a year is not enough of a qualification to be granted an annulment and you will need to get a divorce. In order to get an annulment in California there had to be physical incapacity, one of the spouses was a minor at the time of the marriage, and if one spouse was forced into the marriage.

Even if my wife made more money than me, will I have to pay her alimony?

Just because you have a wife does not mean that you will be the one paying spousal support. Spousal support is there to allow the party that earned less the ability to maintain their lifestyle. If a man was the one making less money the wife could be ordered to pay him spousal support.

Do you have to go to mediation for child custody cases in California?

The state of California does require by law that parents must go to child custody mediation before they can schedule a hearing on child custody. If mediation does not work then you may go through the courts to get a child custody agreement, but mediation must be tried first.

Can my ex take our child out of state for a vacation without my permission?

You have to inform the other parent and get their permission in order to take your child out of state or out of the country. If you are unable to find the other parent or get ahold of them, you will need to ask a judge for their permission for you to take your child out of state or out of the country.

What happens if I have a restraining order on my ex but they are still contacting me?

You will want to call the police to report a violation of your restraining order. Violating a restraining order could result in the restrained party to pay a fine or go to jail if they are found to have been violation the restraining order.

What is martial debt?

Marital debt is the debt that is acquired during the marriage. In California both parties are responsible for the martial debt. This debt includes debts and loans.

What documents will my divorce lawyer need from me?

Your San Fernando divorce attorney will need a list of the assets you have, your pay stubs, tax returns, and debts, and property evaluations. The more you can tell your attorney about your financial situation and have documents to prove that the better.

If we had a pet during the marriage is that settled the same way child custody would be settled?

In January 2019 California passed a new law that looks at pets differently. Before January 2019 pets were considered property meaning it would be divided and one party would get sole ownership of the pet. This law is only in effect in the event of a divorce. Now you can get a custody agreement for the pet, meaning even if you get divorced you may still get visitation to your pet, as long as the judge sees that it is in the best interest of the pet.

Directions to Los Angeles Family Lawyer from San Fernando, CA

These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
San Fernando, CA 91340

Total Est. Time: 34 mins
Total Est. Distance: 27.2 mi

  1. Head northeast on N Alexander St toward De Garmo St
  2. Take the 2nd right onto Glenoaks Blvd
  3. Turn right to merge onto CA-118 W toward Simi Valley Fwy
  4. Merge onto CA-118 W
  5. Take the exit onto I-405 S toward Santa Monica
  6. Take the H Hughes Pkwy exit toward Sepulveda Blvd
  7. Turn right onto Howard Hughes Pkwy
  8. Take the 1st right onto Park Terrace Dr
  9. Turn left onto Center Dr
  10. Turn right onto Center Dr. W
  11. The destination will be on the left


Call Us:
(310) 745-8644

We are located at:

6601 Center Drive West, Suite 500
Los Angeles CA 90045

Our Law Firm Also Serve on Following Los Angeles and Orange County’s Cities:

Related Links: